October 15, 2010

Playing with Novelty using Felicia's Route

Tap tap tap novelty.
Sometimes I listen to two playlists at once. Each one plays to one ear...
You'd think it would drive a person crazy, but I find it to be pretty exhilarating.

Tonight I'm testing out the conversion stage my game making plan, which goes something like this:

1. Outline (plan) entire plot.
2. Convert plot outline to in-game.
3. Write story (script) based on plot.
3. Create graphics as needed in script.
4. Seduce composer to compose/give music.

I used to vaguely try to follow this order or production:

1. Generate drawings & illustrating for key points of plot
2. write script so that the series of events are not awkward/well explained
3. Profit?

but well, you can see the obvious fallacy there in that it's too vague and not really considerate of the story, which should be central to an Adventure Game.


But even with the new, more sane order of production, since I haven't tried following that process of production before, I don't know what things I should be doing or avoiding in order to avoid trouble in the next step. Since I'm drawing a blank with writing and drawing tonight, I thought I would try converting a branch that is already done to see how well or poorly it converts.

The page names are boggling my mind (since they're all names entirely comprised of numbers, such as 01321, 0132212.. etc) but I don't think it's anything I can't get used to, although I've gotta admit searching for the freemind bubble that corresponds with 0132213212 can be pretty confusing.

I think the solution to this is to have sub-chapters within normal chapters so that freemind bubbles with pages that are named 0132121, 0132122, 0132211, 0132212 can all be categorized under one folder called 0132, and then those pages could be renamed to something shorter like 121, 122, 211, 212, but if there's another node named 121, 122, 211, or 212, that could cause a lot of problems when it comes to branching and linking stories later on.
 
In any event, I can get used to using all these numbers. Maybe in a week or two 0132 will automatically make me think "Oh yeah, that's Fifi's path".



This reminds me of a thought I had years ago: I wish PowerPoint was a viable VN medium, because it pretty much has everything I want out of a VN creation program. The only thing it obviously lacks is actual game-like functionality, such as the ability to save and load progress. Bummer!

No comments:

Post a Comment